MHC HRPP is committed to providing training and an on-going educational process for IRB members, IRB staff of the HRPP Office, investigators and members of their research teams focused on subjects related to ethical concerns and regulatory and institutional requirements for the protection of human subjects.
MHC IRB requires that all staff involved in the research process (IRB members, IRB staff, researchers, and others involved in the review of human research) be certified via the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) program, which provides research ethics education to all members of the research community.
- This training is valid for a 3-year period, after which time a refresher CITI course or additional training must be completed.
- HRPP will have an oversight mechanism to ensure that all individuals are up-to-date with their required training. (You may also print a certificate of completion for your records at the end of the course)
- If you have not previously completed the Basic Human Research Course, taking a refresher course will not satisfy the training requirement. If this is your first time taking the course, you must complete it in its entirety.
- In order to be certified you must complete the required modules with an overall score of 80% or better.
- NOTE: All investigators and co-investigators must also complete the Conflicts of Interest course.
- Refer to the Human Research Protections Program Manual (pg. 25) if you would like more details regarding the training process.
|Accessing the Courses
To access the CITI Courses in the Protection of Human Research Subjects, visit
The Basic Human Research Course is required for investigators and key personnel who have not previously completed a CITI human research course. There are two educational tracks for the Basic Human Research Course: Biomedical Research or Social and Behavioral Research. To receive maximal benefit, you should choose the track most closely related to the research in which you are involved. Each track contains up to 16 required modules which take approximately 10 to 30 minutes to complete as well as several optional modules.
New users will be asked to register:
Linking CITI Completion from Another Institution
- From the CITI web site click on “Register Here” and select McLaren Health Care Corporation under Participating Institutions
- Complete Registration steps 1-7
- Once you are registered, you may begin the training process!
To link your completed modules from another institution to McLaren Health Care:
- Log on to your previous CITI account and click on the “Affiliate with another institution” link.
- Type “McLaren Health Care Corporation” into the search box then select it from the drop down menu that appears.
- When prompted, choose the "Biomedical Research Investigators" or "Social and Behavioral Research Investigators" course; whichever matches the course work that you completed previously.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Submit"
You will then be prompted to complete any modules McLaren Health Care requires that your former institution did not. Course completion will be registered electronically with the MHC Human Research Protections Program.
To view a previously completed course or print a completion certificate; select the "View Previously Completed Coursework" option from your Main Menu.
Continuing Medical Education (CME or CEU)
Continuing education credits for physicians, physician's assistants, nurses, psychologists and other health care providers may be available through the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Division of Continuing Medical Education. For more information, please visit the following link: https://www.citiprogram.org/members/learnersII/cmecredits.asp?strKeyID=CAF25EE9-5118-42ED-A371-D8D5D166F306-10831845
***Any questions can be directed to the HRPP Office at (810) 342-1003.