Published on Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Chris Candela Named New President and CEO of McLaren Lapeer Region
Chris Candela has been appointed President and CEO of McLaren Lapeer Region. This appointment was approved by the board of directors at McLaren Lapeer Region who considered a number of internal candidates prior to selecting Chris as their choice for their new leader.
Chris originally joined the McLaren family in 2008 as Director of Rehabilitation Services for McLaren Macomb hospital with responsibility for the operation of the Inpatient Acute Care and Outpatient Rehabilitation departments. In less than a year, Chris earned his first promotion to Director of Ancillary Services where he was responsible for managing a number of Clinical Services departments, the Laboratory and Clinical Engineering. He also led the development of a number of clinically and financially successful multi-disciplinary clinical programs in Orthopedics, Bariatric, and the athletic medicine program.
Based on his exceptional performance, Chris was promoted to the position of Vice President of Operations and Chief Operating Officer for McLaren Macomb in 2013. Again, Chris quickly demonstrated his administrative leadership skills through a number of achievements including:
Direct service line responsibilities for both clinical and non-clinical areas including Rehabilitation Services, Pharmacy, Respiratory Care, Pulmonary Function Lab, EEG, Laboratory, Radiology, Operating Room, Cancer Services, Clinical Engineering, Plant Operations, Central Transportation, Security, Housekeeping, Nutritional Services, Construction Management, Real Estate, and Plant Operations
- Achieved hospital’s first Accreditation by the Joint Commission
- Facilitated Anesthesia Management contract resulting in $1.2 million annual cost savings
- Responsible for negotiating physician and physician group contracts to include quality performance metrics
- Completed a $22 million cancer center expansion project ahead of schedule and under budget
- Oversaw the turnkey construction of a $41 million Emergency Department expansion/renovation project
- Delivered the McLaren system’s highest operating margin in FY 2015 and FY 2016
- Achieved second highest clinical quality scores in the corporation
- Sustain 99th percentile outpatient customer satisfaction scores
Prior to joining McLaren Macomb, Chris held a number of administrative positions of increasing responsibility at Henry Ford Health System, Tri Rehab, Inc. (New Baltimore, MI) and Concentra Medical Center (Sterling Heights, MI). Chris earned a Master of Business Administration from the University of Detroit Mercy (Summa Cum Laude) and a Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy from Wayne State University (Magna Cum Laude).
Chris will officially begin this new position on Monday, March 20th.