McLaren Health Care
Click here to view the McLaren Health Care Profile in PDF format.
McLaren Health Care, headquartered in Flint, Michigan, is a fully integrated health network committed to quality evidence-based patient care and cost efficiency. The McLaren system includes 12 hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, imaging centers, an employed primary care physician network, commercial and Medicaid HMOs covering more than 250,000 lives, home health and hospice providers, retail medical equipment showrooms, pharmacy services, and a wholly owned medical malpractice insurance company. McLaren operates Michigan’s largest network of cancer centers and providers, anchored by the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, one of only 45 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive centers in the U.S. McLaren has 22,000 employees and more than 40,000 network providers. Its operations are housed in more than 350 facilities serving the entire Lower Peninsula of the state of Michigan along with a portion of the Upper Peninsula.
Key Operational Statistics (2015)
|Home Care Visits
|Days of Inpatient Care
McLaren Health Care Service Area
Subsidiaries of McLaren Health Care
- McLaren Bay Region, located in Bay City, Michigan is a 404-bed acute tertiary care hospital providing specialty, primary and preventive services including cardiovascular, neuroscience, women’s health, orthopedics, rehabilitation, home health and hospice care, EMS and oncology. McLaren Bay Region has earned a 5-Star ranking from Healthgrades for Clinical Excellence in orthopedics and spinal surgery. McLaren Bay Region’s new 144,000 square foot patient services tower houses surgery, outpatient services, the family and child birthplace, and a new 35-bed emergency department.
- McLaren Bay Special Care is a 31-bed acute care facility located in Bay City, Michigan specializing in the care and treatment of patients with special medical needs that require lengths of stay greater than 25 days. The facility is licensed by the Michigan Department of Community Health, and is accredited by the Joint Commission. The staff uses a patient focused-interdisciplinary team approach to care, including weekly team conferences facilitated by RN Case Managers. Family conferences are provided as needed and we provide comprehensive family discharge planning.
- McLaren Central Michigan is a 118-bed acute care hospital located in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. It offers a full range of health and wellness services from the hospital campus and off-site locations. McLaren Central Michigan is recognized as an accessible and dependable source of quality medical care for residents of Mount Pleasant, Isabella County and central Michigan. The facility holds high marks of accreditation from the American Osteopathic Association. In addition to its medical staff of over 60 active physicians, it is affiliated with more than 150 other quality providers. The hospital is one of the region’s largest employers, with more than 600 employees and another 200 volunteers. McLaren Central Michigan has been named one of the nation's 100 Top Hospitals® by Thomson Reuters, receiving noted citation for its adherence to clinical standards of care, patient safety, patient satisfaction, operational efficiency and financial stability.
- McLaren Greater Lansing, a tertiary teaching facility with 310 acute care beds, is located in Lansing, Michigan. This medical center is home to one of the nation’s leading cardiac programs; state-of-the-art clinical centers for oncology and women and children’s health; medical/surgical units; and a full-service pharmacy. Its residency programs are affiliated with Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, and the Statewide Campus System. Residencies include family medicine, internal medicine, general surgery, obstetric/gynecological surgery, orthopedic surgery, and physical medicine and rehabilitation. Fellowships are offered in cardiology, hematology/oncology and sports medicine. McLaren Greater Lansing also participates in a citywide emergency medicine residency program.
- McLaren Orthopedic Hospital, a specialty facility with a total of 79 beds, offers inpatient and outpatient services for the treatment and repair of orthopedic degenerative disease, injury and trauma. The health care quality rating firm, Healthgrades, ranks the orthopedic program as being in the top 10% in clinical quality among orthopedic programs nationwide.
- McLaren Lapeer Region is a 222-bed acute care facility located in Lapeer, Michigan, and is the primary provider of health care services to Lapeer County and the surrounding area. McLaren Lapeer Region has received national recognition from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid for clinical excellence in orthopedics, pneumonia, congestive heart failure and surgical care. The facility maintains a verified Level II trauma designation and provides comprehensive care in a 29-bed Emergency Center along with specialized services for heart, cancer, orthopedic and general surgery services, physical medicine and rehabilitation, women’s services, wound care services, sleep disorders, and other areas of care. McLaren Lapeer Region was recently recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top hospitals in southeast Michigan.
- McLaren Flint is a tertiary teaching facility with 378 beds located in Flint, Michigan. McLaren Flint is affiliated with Michigan State University College of Human Medicine in its medical and surgical residency programs, including family practice, internal medicine, general surgery, orthopedic surgery and radiology. McLaren Flint also maintains hematology/oncology and vascular surgery fellowship programs in partnership with Michigan State University and a surgical oncology fellowship. Certified as a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Cardiac Center of Excellence, this facility is also designated as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, a Primary Stroke Center of Excellence, and a Blue Cross Blue Shield Center of Distinction for Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery and Spine Surgery. Other service line centers of focus include cancer, orthopedics, neurosciences, and minimally-invasive surgery. McLaren Flint is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top hospitals in southeast Michigan.
- McLaren Macomb is a 288-bed tertiary teaching facility located in Mount Clemens, Michigan. McLaren Macomb provides a full range of services, including cardiovascular care at the Mat Gaberty Heart Center, award winning cancer services at the Ted B. Wahby Cancer Center, comprehensive orthopedic services and a state-of-the-art elective Surgery Center. The hospital is verified as a Level II Trauma Center and operates one of the busiest Emergency Centers in the area. McLaren Macomb is a leader in osteopathic graduate medical education and serves as a base hospital site for medical students from Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, University of Des Moines and University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine. Residency programs include cardiology, emergency medicine, endocrinology, family medicine, general surgery, vascular surgery, internal medicine, OB/GYN, orthopedic surgery, otolaryngology-facial plastic surgery, radiology and urologic surgery. McLaren Macomb is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top hospitals in southeast Michigan.
- McLaren Port Huron is a 186-bed non-profit hospital located in Port Huron, Michigan. A community hospital founded in 1882, it has a strong history of providing quality, compassionate care to residents living in St. Clair and Sanilac counties and has earned repeated recognition for both clinical excellence and patient safety from nationally renowned health care rating organizations. McLaren Port Huron makes many health care specialties available to area residents, including cardiovascular care, cancer services, orthopedic care, and general, bariatric and robotic-assisted surgeries. Also available at the hospital are board-certified emergency physicians and nurses who staff the county’s busiest emergency center, family birthing services and the only accredited sleep center in the region.
In addition to its main campus in Port Huron, the hospital operates community health centers in Marysville, Yale, Lexington, St. Clair and Capac.
- McLaren Oakland is a 338-bed teaching hospital which provides primary and specialty health care services for the Pontiac, MI community. Founded in 1953, the facility has grown from one small clinic to a full-fledged medical community that includes more than 300 physicians, an inpatient hospital in downtown Pontiac with a Level II Trauma Center designation and eight satellite facilities throughout north Oakland County. McLaren Oakland offers AOA approved residency and fellowship programs in anesthesiology, emergency medicine, family practice, general surgery, internal medicine, dermatology, ophthalmology, orthopedic surgery, podiatry, radiology, and otolaryngology and facial plastic surgery.
- McLaren Northern Michigan is a 202-bed regional referral center located in Petoskey, serving residents in 22 counties across northern Lower Michigan and the eastern part of the Upper Peninsula. A medical staff of nearly 200 physicians represents nearly all medical and surgical specialties, enabling full-service care with an emphasis on cardiology, cancer, orthopedics, and neuroscience services. McLaren Northern Michigan achieved Magnet® status placing it among only 6.6 percent of hospitals throughout the country and among only 14 in the state of Michigan to receive recognition for nursing excellence. In 2012, McLaren Health Care purchased the assets of Cheboygan Memorial Hospital, a critical access facility that had recently completed Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. In order to continue the provision of local health care services, McLaren Northern Michigan opened a comprehensive outpatient services campus including 24/7 emergency department, an ambulatory surgical center and primary care physician offices to serve the communities in and around Cheboygan, MI. Consumer Reports magazine has ranked McLaren Northern Michigan as one of the top 10 safest hospitals in the United States.
- Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute is the largest provider of cancer care in Michigan. With locations in Bay City, Bloomfield Hills, Clarkston, Detroit, Farmington Hills, Flint, Gaylord, Lapeer, Lansing, Mt. Clemens, Mt. Pleasant, Petoskey and West Branch, Karmanos brings access to advanced cancer care close to home. At every Karmanos location, each patient’s care team shares its collective expertise to create a customized treatment plan, based on the patient’s unique needs. Headquartered in midtown Detroit, Karmanos is among the nation’s finest cancer centers. It is one of only 45 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the U.S. Since 1978, it has continually competed for and received this coveted designation.
- McLaren Health Care Village at Clarkston represents the largest ground-up development in the history of the corporation. The $600 million health care village project, located on 95 acres of prime real estate in northern Oakland County, is being developed in two phases. Phase I opened in May 2009 and includes a 138,000 sq. ft. Medical Office Building, a 42,000 sq. ft. freestanding cancer center and a 5-acre Garden of Healing and Renewal. Phase II proposes a 200-bed acute care hospital, two additional medical office buildings, and other health-related buildings.
- McLaren Health Plan is a licensed HMO offering healthcare benefits to over 250,000 commercial, self-funded and Medicaid beneficiaries. McLaren Health Plan also owns a Third Party Administrator called Health Advantage, Inc. which provides full healthcare administrative services for employers, including offering full commercial health coverage for self-funded companies. For each of the past six years, McLaren Health Plan has earned the prestigious Pinnacle Award from the Michigan Association of Health Plans. McLaren Health Plan is also accredited by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) where it has earned the accreditation status of "Excellent" for the past six years. In 2010, 2011 and 2012, McLaren Health Plan was rated as a “Best Place to Work” in the United States by Modern Healthcare magazine. In 2015, McLaren Health Plan was awarded the right to operate in and service every county in the lower peninsula of the state of Michigan – the only provider-owned health plan to achieve this designation by the Michigan Department of Community Health.
- McLaren Homecare Group manages post-acute services across McLaren’s state-wide network including home health care services, home medical equipment and infusion services, and hospice services for the corporation. Divisions include McLaren Visiting Nurse and Hospice and McLaren Home Medical. These divisions serve more than 375,000 patients and businesses in 25 counties throughout Michigan. While corporate headquarters are located in Genesee County, Michigan, the organization also maintains regional offices in Macomb County, Ingham County, Oakland County, Bay County and Lapeer County, along with retail storefronts in 12 locations throughout southeast and mid-Michigan.
- McLaren Medical Group manages the corporate ambulatory network consisting of more than 100 primary and specialty centers located throughout a 21 county region. McLaren Medical Group employs over 450 primary care physicians and specialists as part of this network and has earned Medical Home certification for many of these practices by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Its primary care physicians are among the top admitting and referring physicians for McLaren hospital subsidiaries and its larger community medical centers have earned the Governor’s Award of Excellence for Patient Care Standards in Preventative Medicine.
MHC Video 2015 Annual Year In Review...MORE