If you are pre registering for DIABETES EDUCATION, click the schedules and descriptions..
Ever have one or more of these symptoms?
- Frequent urination
- Excessive fatigue and/or irritability
- Blurry vision
- Thirsty and hungry all the time
- Unusual weight loss
Anyone who is having one or more of those symptoms should make a doctor's appointment and be evaluated for diabetes. Once diagnosed, education is critical to managing a lifelong disease. McLaren Bay Region offers three, three-hours sessions weekly at various times, including evenings. The series if taught by a diabetes education nurse and registered dietitian. Class costs are covered by most insurance. Pre-registration for classes is required by calling the above telephone number.
Topics covered in the diabetes self-care education series include:
- Diabetes diagnosis and progression;
- Meal planning and carbohydrate counting;
- Understanding your blood sugar numbers;
- Preventing complications;
- Stress management;
- Goal setting.
Support groups are available, along with classes for:
- Juvenile diabetes;
- Gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy);
- Using insulin pumps and glucose monitors;
- Administering insulin and other injectible medications;
- Individual sessions arranged by appointment.
Click here for support group information
Bay's Diabetes Self-Care Education Program is certified by the Michigan Department of Community Health, and has met educational standards set by the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE). Classes are held at 400 S. Trumbull, Bay City.
Mohamad Al-Sayed, MD introduction video...MORE