McLaren Flint is a 404-bed tertiary teaching facility located in Flint, Michigan, serving the medical needs of residents in greater Genesee County and mideast Michigan. McLaren Flint is affiliated with Michigan State University College of Human Medicine in its medical residency programs including family practice, internal medicine, general surgery, orthopedic surgery and radiology. McLaren Flint also maintains vascular surgery and health psychology fellowship programs in partnership with Michigan State University.
McLaren Flint holds the following recognitions:
- Blue Distinction Center+ for Hip and Knee Replacement by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Blue Distinction Center+ for Spine Surgery by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program
- Primary Stroke Center by the Joint Commission
- Karmanos Cancer Institute at McLaren Flint is accredited by:
- American College of Radiology Radiation Oncology Practice
- Quality Oncology Practice Initiative - American Society of Clinical Oncology
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
McLaren Flint annually provides more than $30 million in free and uncompensated care to people unable to pay for services. In other community benefit services, the hospital contributes an additional value of $10 million in free and reduced community-based programs. These include numerous health screenings, health classes, community health education events, support group sessions, support and free medical clinics, health fairs, research activity, transportation for patients, blood drives, immunizations, support of cultural center activities, and a multitude of other events that improve the quality of life in our community.
Center of Excellence at McLaren Flint
- Heart and Vascular Services at McLaren Flint incorporates the latest technology and equipment to diagnose, prevent and treat heart and vascular disease. The program offers advanced diagnostic and treatment options, including minimally invasive cardiac procedures, robotic-assisted cardiac surgery, as well as research. The cardiovascular suite at McLaren Flint features five cardiac catheterization labs, including two labs that are also specialized for electrophysiology studies. In the O.R., two rooms are dedicated to cardiac surgical procedures. McLaren Flint also features a Hybrid Operating Room. This specialized surgical suite is equipped to make it possible for surgeons to go from performing a minimally invasive procedure to an open procedure in minutes.
- Karmanos Cancer Institute at McLaren Flint is a comprehensive cancer treatment center on Flint’s campus. The program also provides radiation oncology services in Lapeer and Owosso. McLaren’s partnership with Karmanos Cancer Institute links the specialized care and research opportunities available through a National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated cancer center to patients in the Flint community. Following a multidisciplinary approach, physician specialists from all modes of cancer care including radiology, surgical oncology, medical oncology and radiation oncology collectively determine the best treatment plan. Highly-trained oncologists offer many targeted radiation and chemotherapy treatment options which enable a more effective dose to a narrower field of the body. Complex surgical procedures are performed in Flint by fellowship trained surgical oncologists. A broad scope of support services are also offered; including wellness classes, therapy services, nutrition and financial counseling, art therapy, and support groups.
- Orthopedic Program. McLaren Flint’s orthopedic surgeons perform over 200 different kinds of procedures including thousands of reconstruction on hips, knees, shoulders, and other major joints of the body each year. Patients who receive a joint replacement or who have spine surgery are cared for at the Joint and Spine Center, a specialized unit within the hospital. With McLaren’s comprehensive joint replacement services, therapy starts sooner, dependence on pain medication is reduced, and patients receive encouragement and support from a personal recovery coach. The McLaren Spine Program features a multidisciplinary approach in the treatment of back and neck pain, combining the expertise of neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, physical medicine, physical therapy, clinical health psychology, pain management, interventional radiology and case management to help patient feel, move and live better.
- The McLaren Neurosciences Program is committed to providing the area with high quality diagnostic and surgical services to manage neurological conditions of the head and spine. Physician specialists treat chronic and emergent health conditions including tumors of the brain, infections of the brain and spine, cerebral vascular abnormalities and conditions causing chronic pain. McLaren Flint is the first and only hospital in the region to offer neurointerventional services and remains the area’s exclusive source for interventional neurologists treating stroke and neurological brain disorders. McLaren Flint is certified as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. The stroke program offers comprehensive care including intensive, critical and acute services to patients, as well as inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation.
- Surgical Services. At McLaren Flint, early adoption of robotic surgery in 2005 and single site surgery in 2008 has placed our surgeons among the region’s most experienced specialists in the field of minimally invasive procedures. Our skilled surgeons have performed more types of robotic procedures than any other hospital in Michigan. McLaren Flint has 16 fully equipped operating suites within the hospital and four operating rooms located at the McLaren Surgery Center for outpatient surgeries.
- McLaren Bariatric and Metabolic Institute provides a comprehensive approach to caring for the health care needs in the bariatric surgery process. The nationally accredited program includes personal assessment, internal medicine consultation, psychological evaluation, nutritional counseling, surgical consultation, pre and post-surgical exercise plan, psychological support services, post-operative follow-up care, support groups, and a fully monitored and specially-equipped bariatric unit for inpatient care. Laparoscopic surgical options are the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, gastric banding, and the gastric sleeve procedure.
- Other services at McLaren Flint
- Behavioral Health Services
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Emergency Services
- Endo/GI Lab
- Family BirthPlace
- IV Therapy
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Rehab and Therapy Services
- Sleep Diagnostic Center
- Surgery and Endoscopy Center
- Women’s Services
MHC Video 2015 Annual Year In Review...MORE