100 Years of Greater Care

One century. That's how long McLaren Greater Lansing has proudly and compassionately served our community. McLaren's dedication to the region began in the fall of 1913, when a 10-bed county facility opened its doors to care for those afflicted with tuberculosis.

As Greater Lansing grew over the decades, so did our hospital. Wood and nails became girder and steel, wings became towers, and the 10-bed facility grew into what we are today: a 389-bed, two-campus testament to compassionate care and medical innovation.

We are proud to be celebrating our centennial anniversary and our commitment to the community ... what we are calling 100 Years of Greater Care.

During our celebration, we will certainly reflect on the important medical advancements we've been a part of - such as the area's first open heart surgery and pioneering work in arthroscopic surgery - but the focus of our celebration will be on what makes us great: our people.

The celebration isn't about individuals over the course of our history. Rather it is about the collective family of caregivers and staff who have been, and always will be, dedicated to the health of our community. For the past 100 years we have relentlessly strived to be greater in every way. During our next 100 years we vow to continue to fight to be Greater ... because nothing is Greater than you.

Below is a brief history of our hospital, and to the left you'll find expert services that we offer our community today.

McLaren Greater Lansing Milestones

  • 1913 Ingham County Tuberculosis Sanatorium opens
    1913
    Ingham County Tuberculosis Sanatorium opens with 10-bed capacity
  • A 30-bed infirmary is built
    1924
    A 30-bed infirmary is built
  • A four-story brick building is constructed to accommodate 100 patients
    1930
    A four-story brick building is constructed to accommodate 100 patients
  • Drs. Lawrence Jarrett and Harriet Jarrett open the McLaughlin Osteopathic Hospital, and first baby is born
    1941
    Drs. Lawrence Jarrett and Harriet Jarrett open the McLaughlin Osteopathic Hospital, and first baby is born

  • 1954
    Ingham County Tuberculosis Sanatorium becomes Ingham County Chest Hospital

    1958
    Ingham County Chest Hospital receives accreditation from The Joint Commission on Hospital Accreditation

  • McLaughlin Osteopathic Hospital moves to Pennsylvania Avenue and changes name to Lansing General Hospital
    1959
    McLaughlin Osteopathic Hospital moves to Pennsylvania Avenue and changes name to Lansing General Hospital
  • Ingham County Chest Hospital becomes Ingham Medical Hospital, a 170-bed acute care facility
    1960
    Ingham County Chest Hospital becomes Ingham Medical Hospital, a 170-bed acute care facility
  • First open-heart surgery is performed to close a hole in a 15-year-old's heart
    1966
    First open-heart surgery is performed to close a hole in a 15-year-old's heart
  • New hospital is completed and dedicated (Greenlawn Avenue campus) 
    1972
    New hospital is completed and dedicated (Greenlawn Avenue campus) 

  • 1974

    Ingham Medical Hospital becomes Ingham Medical Center
  • Nation's first arthroscopic surgery center opens at Ingham Medical Center
    1980
    Nation's first arthroscopic surgery center opens at Ingham Medical Center
  • Breslin Cancer Center opens at Ingham Medical Center
    1986
    Breslin Cancer Center opens at Ingham Medical Center
  • The McRee Guest House opens its doors for families of hospitalized patients
    1991
    The McRee Guest House opens its doors for families of hospitalized patients
  • Ingham Medical Center and Lansing General Hospital merge 
    1992
    Ingham Medical Center and Lansing General Hospital merge 
  • A formal affiliation with McLaren Health Care commences
    1997
    A formal affiliation with McLaren Health Care commences
  • 2001 72-bed Ingham Regional Assisted Living
    2001
    The 72-bed Ingham Regional Assisted Living facility opens
  • Grand opening of Chi Heart & Surgery Center
    2007
    Grand opening of Chi Heart & Surgery Center
  • McLaren Greater Lansing
    2012
    Ingham Regional Medical Center undergoes rebranding and takes new name: McLaren Greater Lansing
  • McLaren Greater Lansing celebrates 100 years
    2013
    McLaren Greater Lansing celebrates 100 years