New parents want to feel comfortable and reassured during the delivery experience. That’s why personal care gets top priority in the Family Birthing Center at McLaren Macomb.
With spacious, private birthing suites, the Birthing Center allows mom to experience her labor, delivery and post-partum care all in one place.
Most importantly, the specially trained nursing staff provides experienced care to mothers and babies. All nurses in the Family Birthing Center are trained in labor, delivery and post-partum care, to provide a continuum of care for patients.
Nurses are also trained and certified in neo-natal resuscitation through the American Academy of Pediatrics.
If a newborn requires more intensive medical care, a 15-bed Special Care Nursery is located within the Birthing Center. Here specially trained physicians and nurses provide care to babies. Parent visitation is encouraged.
Other Staff Services:
The Family Birthing Center has expertly trained staff members who provide personalized care and individual teaching – from the first triage visit until the patient’s departure.
- Anesthesiologists are available 24 hours a day to provide epidural procedures.
- A pediatrician is available in-house at all times to assist with any baby care that may be needed, until your own baby doctor visits.
- Doctors and nurses use a remote fetal monitoring system to watch and manage each mom’s labor and birth from several locations around the Family Birthing Center.
- Case management and social work services are available to assist new parents.
- Staff will assist new parents in obtaining Social Security cards, copies of birth certificates and affidavits of parentage. Parents receive forms and worksheets that are sent to the state; final process takes about four to six weeks. Full-time lactation consultants are also available to assist with any breast feeding concerns.
If a Cesarean delivery is necessary, there are two surgical suites located within the birthing center. The team also includes anesthesiologists who are available 24 hours a day for epidurals or any surgical emergencies that might arise.
Women who undergo a C-section delivery also stay in private postpartum rooms in the Family Birthing Center unit.
For more information regarding the McLaren Macomb Family Birthing Center call (586) 493-8298. To schedule a prenatal or childbirth class call (855) 362-5273.