McLaren Greater Lansing

McLaren Greater Lansing (formerly Michigan Capital Medical Center) was created by the 1992 merger of Ingham Medical Center and Lansing General Hospital.  Ingham Medical Center's roots date back to 1913 when it was founded as a 10-bed tuberculosis sanitorium.  Opened two years later as the Ingham County Tuberculosis Sanitorium and staffed by three employees, the hospital rapidly expanded to meet the area's growing health care needs. A 30-bed infirmary was built in 1924, and, six years later, a four-story brick building was constructed to accommodate 100 patients.  By the late 1930s, the sanitorium was established as the chest surgical center for central and northern Michigan and as the tuberculosis facility for much of the state.

 On Jan. 1, 1954, the name was changed to Ingham Chest Hospital, and a $600,000 expansion added private patient rooms, a surgical suite and administrative space.  Tuberculosis cases decreased sharply as the decade moved on, and in 1958, with the disease finally under control, the hospital converted its beds to general usage.  In 1960, the 170-bed hospital was renamed Ingham Medical Hospital.  True to its heritage, Ingham opened in the mid-1960s a cardiopulmonary laboratory and cardiac care unit.  The first open heart surgery in mid-Michigan was performed at Ingham in 1966 by A.L. Stanley, M.D., who would later be hailed as the "dean of chest surgery in mid-Michigan."  In 1967, the hospital attracted international attention as the site of the world's first heart valve replacement.

Ingham's most ambitious building advancement took place in 1972 when its new $9 million inpatient facility opened its doors.  Closely following that was the extensive remodeling of many older sections of the hospital, and the opening of the Professional Building in 1974.  Once again, the hospital realized a name change in 1974 to Ingham Medical Center to reflect the level of services provided.

In 1980, Ingham recorded another "first" with the opening of a first-of-its-kind arthroscopic surgery center.  This prototype facility was visited by thousands of orthopedic surgeons from around the world.  This and other developments in the past three decades have established Ingham as a leader in a broadening range of medical services.

In 1989, Ingham Medical Center established itself as a corporation, and in 1991 the McRee Guest House opened as a 15-bedroom "home-away-from-home" for the families of seriously-ill patients. In 1992, Ingham Medical Center was released from ownership by Ingham County and merged with Lansing General Hospital as operating divisions of Michigan Capital Healthcare System, Inc.

Lansing General Hospital originated from the medical practice of Harriet and Lawrence Jarrett on Ionia Street, Lansing, in 1937.  By 1941, the doctors' practice had outgrown their home, and they opened the 8-bed McLaughlin Osteopathic Hospital on the corner of St. Joseph and Townsend Streets.  By 1942, the number of beds had more than tripled, and the hospital was organized as a voluntary non-profit, non-stock Michigan corporation governed by a Board of Trustees of local civic leaders.  It provided 45 beds and 9 bassinets at that time.  Lack of expansion opportunities in downtown Lansing led to the construction of new facilities in on the present 22-acre site at 2727 S. Pennsylvania St. in Lansing' s residential south side. 

The hospital opened in 1959 with 90 beds, and in 1962, a new 75-bed north wing was added.  The 1969 additions to the hospital brought the total capacity to 243 beds.  A new emergency room, physical therapy department, cardiopulmonary department and outpatient receiving area was opened in 1974.  The found floor of this addition was financed through special arrangements with Michigan State University's College of Osteopathic Medicine, and provided classroom, lounge and office facilities for faculty and osteopathic medicine students. Lansing General Hospital merged with Ingham Medical Center in 1992 as operating divisions of Michigan Capital Healthcare System, Inc.  Another milestone was reached in September of 1997 when Michigan Capital Healthcare System, Inc. became a subsidiary of McLaren Health Care, headquartered in Flint, Michigan. MCH changed its name to McLaren Greater Lansing shortly after the affiliation in 1997.