McLaren Lapeer Region

McLaren Lapeer Region’s earliest beginnings date back to 1939, when a bequest from Charles W. Smith designated $14,000 for a community hospital. Discussions among business leaders continued for the next 11 years, leading to a ballot proposal for public funding in 1950. The Rev. Frank Hemingway signed the first petition in a successful campaign to place a hospital bond issue before the public. Voters approved the $375,000 construction in 1950, and it was matched by Federal government Hill-Burton funds of $375,000. An additional $225,000 in private gifts was also provided. Ground was broken on the seven-acre site the following year. Over the years, additional acreage was acquired, bringing McLaren Lapeer Region to its current 11-acre main site, plus 40 acres adjacent to the hospital for future development.

After opening on January 29, 1954, the new 52-bed Lapeer County General Hospital admitted its first patients on February 4 of that year. The new hospital employed 50 people, with 24 physicians on staff. Coleman Foote was the first administrator, a post he held for the next two decades.

Below is a partial listing of McLaren Lapeer Region milestones:

  • 1954: Hospital opens and first patient is admitted
  • 1957: First and second floors of south wing are constructed
  • 1961: Administration and west wings are extended and intensive care unit is added, bringing bed count to 132
  • 1969: South wing adds third floor and obstetrics department expands, increasing bed count to 166
  • 1978: A 112,000-square-foot north wing is completed, bringing bed count to 203
  • 1986: Lapeer General Hospital name is adopted as hospital reorganizes from a county-owned facility to a tax-exempt community hospital governed by a community-based board of trustees
  • 1988: Hospital adopts new name, Lapeer Regional Medical Center, to reflect growth and expanded service area
  • 1992: Lapeer Regional Medical Center joins McLaren family
  • 1996: A $13.7 million renovation and expansion project is completed
  • 1998: A CT scanner is installed, advancing the hospital’s diagnostic capabilities; a community medical center opens in Metamora
  • 2005: A fixed MRI system is added, making Lapeer Regional Medical Center the region’s only source offering this technology in a hospital facility
  • 2008: A freestanding 21,000-square-foot cancer center opens, bringing patients state-of-the-art oncology services
  • 2009: The wound care center and cardiac catheter/special procedures laboratory open
  • 2011: Lapeer Regional Medical Center begins verification process to become a Level III Trauma Center
  • 2012: Lapeer Regional Medical Center undergoes rebranding and takes new name: McLaren Lapeer Region; carotid artery stenting services are added
  • 2013: McLaren Lapeer Region expands trauma services, earning verification as a Level II Trauma Center; a computer-based simulation training lab also opens