Regain Strength, Learn New Skills
Cardiovascular conditions, from heart attack to abnormal heart rhythms, and risk factors such as smoking and obesity require interventions to bring the patient back to optimal function. Individualized programs include monitored exercise, regular assessments and screenings, plus lifestyle changes through counseling and goal setting.
A significant part of cardiovascular rehabilitation is conducted in classes, three days per week, for varying periods of time depending on the patient’s specific condition. Instructor-led and video classes, support and social groups, and individual and group exercise routines speed recovery.
Benefits of Cardiovascular Rehabilitation
Scientific studies have shown that people who complete a cardiac rehabilitation program can increase their life expectancy by up to five years.
- Lessen your chances of recurring heart attack
- Control heart disease symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath
- Stop or reverse blood vessel damage
- Decrease the physical and emotional effects of heart disease
- Improve stamina and strength
- Improve confidence and well-being
The Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation program at McLaren Northern Michigan is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.