Phone: (248) 338-5460
Volunteers enhance our daily lives and the lives of our patients. They are vital and valued at McLaren Oakland.
Today's volunteer has changed. Individuals from all walks of life - high school and college students, retirees, seniors as well as former and current career-oriented people are donating their time and energy to experiencing the rewards of volunteering. Volunteer candidates must be at least 16 years old to apply.
In response to the growing desire, and most recently academic requirements to volunteer, our program focuses on finding the perfect match to link our volunteers' interests to positions that suit their lifestyles and limitations. We have positions that allow volunteers to make contributions that help patients, employees, guests and departments. These positions challenge the volunteer in new and exciting ways.
- Making a difference in someone's stay
- Flexible scheduling
- Variety of assignments
- Helping people
- Develop / enhance new skills
- Free parking
- Free meals during a 4-hour duty
McLaren Oakland operates during traditional business hours and beyond. Our volunteer services program provides volunteers with the opportunity to give meaningful service, to experience skill development, career exploration and personal growth. We will work with your schedule to find a project that is rewarding for you.
Volunteer opportunities are divided into 4 categories:
- Guest Services -- Volunteers work with families, visitors and the public
- Patient Services -- Volunteers work directly with patients
- Support Services -- Volunteers work "behind the scene" and provide services to hospital staff, patients or families
- Spiritual Care Services -- Volunteers work with patients and their families to provide spiritual and emotional support (for more information, click here)
"Currently recruiting members for Volunteer Comfort Care Associate"
The Comfort Care Assistant will provide the following support:
- Answer call lights (once answered, all clinical requests would be forwarded) Make sure room is tide and tray table is clear of debris Make sure items are within reach (urinal, commode, call light, phone, water, etc.) Provide blankets and pillows upon request Distribute water (prior approval required, see Unit Clerk, PCA, or RN) Read to patients if requested Provide documentation of all requests on Comfort Request log (tracking) Distribute reading material (employee donated) Provide assistance to the families while in the patient’s room.
The goal at McLaren Oakland is to recruit and retain volunteers who are dedicated, motivated and conscientious volunteers who will commit themselves to our values and mission. The following is the process that each interested candidate should follow:
- Interested candidates must complete an application, authorize a background check and provide references. (Spiritual Care volunteers must also provide a letter of recommendation from their minister.)
- Your application is processed once the application and references are received. If it is determined that we are able to match your interests, skills and availability with our volunteer needs, you will be contacted to schedule a placement interview.
- During the interview, the Volunteer Coordinator will discuss your motivation for volunteering, past volunteer and work experience and your areas of interests. Possible volunteer placements will be discussed.
- Volunteer applications are available in the Human Resources Department, information desk in the main lobby or by clicking here for a volunteer application. Individuals interested in Spiritual Care Volunteer Opportunities, should click here for a Spiritual Care Volunteer application.
Completed applications may be returned in person to the human resources department or the information desk in the main lobby, sent to fax number 248-338-5304 or sent via mail to: McLaren Oakland, 50 N. Perry, Pontiac, MI 48342, Attn: David Bowman.
Thank you for your interest in the McLaren Oakland volunteer program. We look forward to working with you! If you need more information about volunteering at McLaren Oakland, Please contact David Bowman via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 248-338-5460"