McLaren Health Care
International Nurses

Foreign Candidate Information

Below is information for International Nurses wishing to practice in the United States:

  1. Apply for Michigan RN License.
    • If educated outside Ontario you must first complete the English language proficiency and CGFNS exams. Application for Michigan can be requested by calling 517-335-0918 or online at:  Register to take the NCLEX-RN. The NCLEX exam can be repeated after 45 days should you not pass. The state of Michigan only allows three attempts to pass, all three attempts must occur within a 12-month period. 
    • Upon passing the NCLEX apply for a Health Care Worker Certificate "VisaScreen", through CGFNS/ICHIP, currently the only organization authorized to issue the certificate for nurses. This is the same organization you will contact if you hare required to complete the CGFNS exam.
  2. Upon receipt of your VisaScreen certificate:
    • Obtain a Letter of Intent to Employ from the prospective employer's Human Resources department
    • Apply for TN status through the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services at any United States port of entry.
    • You will need to provide the following documents:
      • Evidence of citizenship
      • Letter of Intent to Employ from the employer (Item 3a)
      • Job Description (From employer)
      • Evidence you possess the necessary qualifications, beginning July 2005 the VisaScreen certificate will be required to satisfy this requirement, however we advise you have your RN license(s) with you as well.
  3. Once you have your TN Visa you will need to apply for a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
  4. Please note that this information is currently accurate and subject to change without notice.